Sunday, June 13, 2010

Multitasking mixed with boredom...to a new extreme

When I get bored in class, I usually will put on a movie in the background of my screen. Now, I know what you're thinking, I might as well not even be in class. Sometimes that's true, but most of the time it actually helps. If I know the movie well enough, like it, and it inspires me in some way, then I actually end up concentrating more. Here's the logic..

1) sometimes I need a good distraction just to keep me awake, and a movie can provide that. Chances are, if something important is mentioned, I'll be more likely to hear it if I'm awake than if I'm asleep

2) I know I shouldn't be watching movies in class....so when I notice that I'm getting really
focused on it, I snap out of my little movie world and back into class...now that might be only for a slide or two, but it's better than completely zoning out for the entire lecture.

3) If it's an inspiring movie, then I'll be more motivated to actually learn and become a good doctor. Nothing like someone defeating adversity or an enemy or standing up for what they believe in to make me want to tackle medicine.

So, there's my logic behind it...but I'll admit, last Thursday I reached an all time low, or high, depending on how you look at it.

Here's a screen shot that I took of my laptop.


That's right...2 movies(note: Kingdom of Heaven...the inspiring one, and Lady of Shanghai, just for fun), my notes (note: I'm actually taking notes, not just staring at the screen), and these screens arranged in such a way that I can see if I have a new email.

Yep, and surprisingly, that was one of my more productive class periods, considering how dull the lecture was.

1 comment:

  1. can i say...your creativity with maintaining focus in class is beyond normal. ridiculous. =) crazy rice.

    ReplyDelete