Thursday, June 18, 2009

A few prayers

I've been praying for my entering class and our futures both as individuals in Israel and as aspiring physicians, and figured that I would share a few of those prayers with you so that you can join in in agreement if the Spirit leads...

This is a Jewish prayer I stumbled upon called the Hoda'ah.
Your might, O G-d, is everlasting;
Help us to use our strength for good and not for evil.
You are the Source of life and blessing;
Help us to choose life for ourselves and our children.
You are the support of the falling;
Help us to lift up the fallen.
You are the Author of freedom;
Help us to set free the captive.
You are our hope in death as in life;
Help us to keep faith with those who sleep in the dust.
Your might, O G-d, is everlasting;
Help us to use our strength for good.

Another prayer I found that really struck a cord with me is from the episcopal medical missions foundation:
Where there is disease, make us instruments of healing

Where there is brokenness, make us the tie that binds

Where there is pain, have us bring relief

Where there is death, let us bring assurance of life in Thee.

May we receive the sick with compassion

May we treat the sick with competence

And so reflect the Master Physician

That they go with Thanksgiving and a new understanding of
Our Savior's Mission.
This prayer is offered in the Name of the Divine Physician who heals us all.

And then my prayer for the Christian's in my class in particular is that we would be united in love, for Jesus said that the world would know that we are His disciples by our love for one another. From what I have learned about Israel so far, both the Jews and the Muslims have watched the Church to see evidence of its love and have come back disappointed. And so, the last prayer that I will post today is Jesus' own prayer for His followers:
"I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them." (John 17:20-26)




1 comment:

  1. Carolyn, thanks for setting up this blog. It will be a privilege to follow your journey. Shalom and salaam, sister,
    cari

    ReplyDelete